Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Note on Music

So, I realize that my last post was about taking a hiatus from arguing and allowing people to have their own opinions, but a new trend has come to my attention that is worth mentioning. That said, I am exercising my right to fight for "an issue that I am truly passionate about"- music. 

I recently noticed a sea of young high schoolers and college freshman wearing paraphernalia featuring classic rock gods. I was completely astounded to see a young generation appreciate the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, Weather Report, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc. My initial review of this uprising was nothing but supportive and positive. I was extremely excited to see a generation abandon shameful artists not unlike Blink 182 or Three Doors Down (God forbid Nickelback). 

The honeymoon period of my new found cultural high hopes came to a screeching halt once I realized that it was merely just "popular" to "like" such artists- not to actually listen to or appreciate them. Sigh. My aggravation grew even further after exchanging a few words with one of these young oldies fans. He was so kind to enlighten me that all "modern" music "sucks." Wow- thank you, sir. Your profound musical opinions really have shown me the light. 

My problem with this attitude stems from my musical roots. I have been listening to "classic rock" for about 12 years- drawing much of my musical inspiration from the artists of Early Days- pun intended. My passion was further nurtured as a student at the University of North Texas. While working in recording for the College of Music and generally being on campus, I was able to witness the molding of the musicians of tomorrow. It was amazing to see kids of my generation studying Jazz, Classical composition, Rock, and world music- at probably the best venue for such courses.

I guess my problem with the "I listen to oldies" and "all new music sucks" mantras is that they are basically naive. Most of the students at UNT, now mastering their instruments, have been learning from and idolizing for year the same bands that are newly popular to like. Where is it that this kid thinks "modern" bands are getting their inspiration from? The answer is always the same. Further, I just generally have a problem with people who form a blanket opinion without research. Yes, a lot of new bands suck. BUT - there are many, many, many talented musicians on the cusp of breaking into the National music scene. Perhaps check them out before writing off an entire generation of music. 

On a final note, if you are not willing to dedicate yourself to changing something, then you really don't have any room to complain. Although I may not be a fan of all new music, I have a strong admiration for those who attempt to make it. 



Ok, off of my soap box now. 



-Sarah


1 comments:

Katie said...

i remember when i thought all my thoughts and beliefs were golden. i had some very ridiculous hypotheses. what an amazingly naive young woman i was... it's funny how much you grow in a short five years. it's like a mind EXPLOSION! hahaha

Post a Comment